1.Purpose and requirement
In response to the Belt and Road Initiative, Tongji University, in collaboration with the Bank of China, establishes the “Tongji University & Bank of China Global Talent Scholarship”, aiming to attract outstanding international students from Europe and countries along the Belt and Road Routes in pursuit of further education at our University. Combining our globalized platform and the strengths of business internalization of the Bank of China, we endeavor to produce graduates with global perspective and innovative mindset, and seek to enhance substantive cooperation and exchanges with top-notch universities and academic institutions around the globe for the promotion of collaborative innovation at the international level.
The Scholarship shall be exclusively rewarded to international candidates for the PhD programs at TJU. Awardees must complete the curricula approved by the Academic Board as well as the required research work, and fully meet the requirements of the PhD study plans.
There is no major restriction for the Scholarship application. Supervisors who are qualified to recruit Chinese PhD students and have the corresponding foreign language ability are eligible for admitting our scholarship candidates.
Applicants shall have completed their postgraduate studies and be able to complete the learning tasks for doctoral studies with the potential to engage in scientific research and teaching. Applicants shall meet the following requirements:
1.under 40 years old and hold a non-Chinese passport.
2.hold both bachelor’s and master’s degrees from renowned and recognized academic institutions abroad or Double-First Class universities in China;
3.have completed postgraduate studies and have obtained the master’s degree.
4.have a good academic performance with an average grade no less than 85 or with GPA no less than 3.8.
5.demonstrate outstanding academic performance and potential; have published articles in SCI, EI, SSCI, A&HCI, CSSCI or other top-ranked academic journals, or have participated in major scientific research projects during their postgraduate studies.
6.cannot held the Scholarship concurrently with other scholarships or funding from the Chinese government or universities.
7.have a good command of the language required by the chosen program. For detailed information of linguistic competence, please refer to the requirement of the application materials.
For Spring Semester: from November to December.
For Fall Semester: from January to April.
(Please refer to the website of International Students Office to be updated about the opening time of our online application system.)
1. Please refer to https://study.tongji.edu.cn/lxsq/xwxm_zwsk.htm for information about the enrollment of Tongji University.
2. Contact the supervisor of your field and fill in the “Application Form of Tongji University & Bank of China Global Talent Scholarship”. Send the form, together with the other application materials, to your supervisor by e-mail. The documents with the supervisor’s opinion on the application form will be returned to the applicant later.
3. Log in Tongji University Online Application System (http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn) to upload all the application materials (see the next section). If you have successfully reached here, you have completed the application procedures.
1.Application Form of Tongji University & Bank of China Global Talent Scholarship with the signatures of the applicant and the supervisor. 同济大学-中国银行全球菁英奖学金申请表Application Form of Tongji University & Bank of China Global Talent Scholarship.docx
2.Paper copy of applicant’s personal passport (information page).
3.Paper copy of the master’s degree and graduation certificate. If the certificate is not in English or Chinese, the original copy of the notarized file should be submitted.
Please note that the notarized file should be provided by Chinese embassies/ consulates in foreign countries or foreign embassies/consulates in China.
Projected graduate applicants should submit the Certificate of Prospective Graduation issued by the current university; if finally admitted to our University, you should provide the graduation certificate for further check when the on-site registration begins.
4.Original copy or notarized copy of the academic transcripts for the postgraduate studies. If the transcript is not in English or Chinese, the original copy of the notarized file should be submitted.
Please note that the notarized file should be provided by Chinese embassies/consulates in foreign countries or foreign embassies/consulates in China.
5. Language proficiency documents
For Chinese-taught programs:
For the programs of Science and Engineering: paper copy of New HSK Band 4 certificate with a total score no less than 180.
(If the previous stage of study was taught in Chinese, students shall submit the proof of Chinese-taught lessons whereas the HSK certificate can be waived.)
For English-taught programs:
If you are from a non-English-speaking country, recognized certificates for English proficiency should be provided.
If the applicant’s master program is taught in English, the applicant is not required to provide an official English proficiency certificate but has to hand in the certificate for English-taught degree program. Otherwise, the applicant should submit a valid official English transcript. Applicants may choose to take one of the following official English tests: TOEFL or IELTS. The transcript shall be the applicant’s test result within two years prior to the date of application. Under special circumstances, the committee may consider waiving the requirement for English certification materials if the supervisor contacted by the applicant gives a strong recommendation.
6. Original recommendation letters from two professors or associate professors (contact information is necessary).
7. Personal statement with around 1500 words in Chinese (Chinese-taught programs) or English (English-taught programs). It should include study and work experience, academic research achievement, research plan and personal prospect after graduation.
8. Physical examination form for foreigners issued within the last 6 months or valid Chinese visa.
9. Payment evidence
If the applicant pays the application fee through bank or online bank, it is required to provide a photo of receipt or screenshot of transaction.
No requirement for those who pay through the online application system.
10. Catalogue and abstract of published papers or any other materials that can prove your academic research ability.
11. Other supporting materials, such as approval letter from your supervisor of Tongji University, award certificates, admission notice from other universities, etc.
* In addition to the application materials mentioned above, the university may require applicants to provide supplementary materials, depending on the circumstances.
You need to upload all the material on our online application system. When uploading, files without corresponding category should belong to “Other Supporting Materials”.
When the first semester begins, you shall bring the documents and certificates with you for further check. Detailed information will be listed on our Registration Guide and will be sent out with the admission notice. Your admission will be cancelled if your documents are found to be fake.
Tuition, Living Expenses, Accommodation and Insurance
Tongji University will waive the tuition (45,000 yuan annually) once the applicant is awarded with the Scholarship.
5000 yuan per month, disbursed for totally 12 times a year, will be given as living expenses for each awardee.
The University ensures on-campus accommodation for each awardee. If applying for off-campus accommodation, you are entitled to an accommodation subsidy of 3,000 yuan per month.
Each awardee is entitled to the waiver of comprehensive medical insurance and major diseases and accidents insurance, which would have cost 800 yuan per year.
5.Dissertation supervision fees
After your completion of the whole stage of the study and graduation from the University, we will provide a one-off lump sum of dissertation supervision fee (5,000 yuan) to your supervisor.
6.International travel fees
After your completion of the whole stage of the study and graduation from the University, we will offer a one-ff lump sum of international travel fee (12,000 yuan) to you.
Admission and Registration
1.Please pay attention to the application status on the online application system at any time. If you are admitted, the application status will be changed to “admitted”, and the admission notice and JW202 will be sent out.
2.Admitted students should bring their personal passport, admission notice, the Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202) to apply for study visa (X visa) at Chinese embassies or consulates and finish the registration at Tongji University according to the time specified in the admission notice (Those with X visa must apply for a residence permit at the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau within 30 days after entry).
3.In principle, doctoral students should pass the doctoral qualification examination/review in the first academic year.
For Scholarship Winners:
1. You shall register on time. Those who are late for registration without permission from the University will be expelled and the Scholarship will be cancelled.
2. You shall attend the annual review of the scholarship qualification. The Scholarship will be suspended or cancelled for those who fail in the review.
3. In principle, the major and study period cannot be changed.
International Students Office of Tongji University
Address: Room 705, Zhonghe Building, Tongji University, No. 1239, Siping Road, Shanghai
Zip code: 200092
Tel: 0086-21-65983611; 0086-21-65988388
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org