Purpose and mode
In order to build a higher education brand in China and a Double-First Class university, Tongji University sets up the "International Doctoral Scholarship of Tongji University" to cultivate foreign doctoral students with an international vision and passion for China and Tongji University and help them to engage in scientific research or teaching practice in the future.
Only international students can apply for this scholarship. Doctoral students must complete the study plan approved by the academic steering committee, finish the paper and research work, and meet the requirements of Tongji University's corresp-onding doctoral training program.
There is no restriction on the major. All doctoral supervisors who are qualified to recruit Chinese doctoral students and have acquired the corresponding foreign language ability can enroll students.
Applicants shall finish their graduate study and have the ability to complete the learning tasks of doctoral students with the potential to engage in scientific research and teaching. The applicant shall meet the following requirements:
1. Applicants must be under 40 years old and hold a non-Chinese passport.
2. Applicants must finish their bachelor and master study in a well-known foreign academic institution or a Double-First Class university in China;
3. Applicants should have finished master study and have got the master degree.
4. Applicants should have a good academic performance with an average grade no less than 85 or GPA no less than 3.8.
5. Applicants should show excellent research capability and potential for future development and one article as the first author or two articles as the second author in SCI, EI, SSCI, A&HCI, CSSCI or peer journals should be published during their master's learning period.
6. Applicants should receive no other scholarship or funding from Chinese government or universities.
7. Applicants should have a good command of English. For detailed information, please refer to the requirement of the documents
For spring semester:
From November to December.
For fall semester:
From January to April
(Please refer to the website of International Students Office to be updated about the opening time of our online application system.)
1. Please refer to https://study.tongji.edu.cn/lxsq/xwxm_zwsk.htm for information about the enrollment of Tongji University.
2. Contact the supervisor of your field and fill the 同济大学国际博士生奖学金申请表 International Doctoral Scholarship of Tongji University.docx Then send the form and all the other documents to your supervisor by e-mail. The documents with the supervisor’s opinion on the application form will be returned to the applicant.
3. Log in Tongji University Online Application System (http://study-info.tongji.edu.cn) to finish the online application procedure, upload all the supporting documents and then your application is finished.
1. Application Form of International Doctoral Scholarship of Tongji University with signature by the applicant and the supervisor.
2. Paper copy of applicant’s personal passport (information page).
3. Paper copy of the degree and graduation certificate. If the certificate is not in English or Chinese, the original copy of the notarized file should be submitted.
Please note that the notarized file should be provided by Chinese embassies and consulates in foreign countries or foreign embassies and consulates in China. If this is your last year of postgraduate study, the certificates should be submitted when you register if you get admitted.
4. Original copy or notarized copy of the academic transcripts. If the transcript is not in English or Chinese, the original copy of the notarized file should be submitted.
Please note that the notarized file should be provided by Chinese embassies and consulates in foreign countries or foreign embassies and consulates in China.
5. Language proficiency documents
For Chinese-taught programs:
For the programs of Science and Engineering: paper copy of New HSK Band 4 certificate with a total score no less than 180.
If the applicant is taught in Chinese in the previous study, the applicant should submit a certificate of teaching in Chinese, then HSK certificate is not required.
For English-taught programs:
If the applicant is from a non-English-speaking country, the applicant should provide documents of his/her English proficiency.
If the applicant’s master program is taught in English, the applicant is not required to provide an official English proficiency certificate but has to hand in the certificate for English-taught degree program. Otherwise, the applicant should submit a valid official English transcript. Applicants may choose to take one of the following official English tests: TOEFL or IELTS. The transcript shall be the applicant's test result within two years prior to the date of application. Under special circumstances, the committee may consider waiving the requirement for English certification materials if the supervisor contacted by the applicant give a strong recommendation.
6. Original recommendation letters from two professors or associate professors (contact information is necessary).
7. Personal statement with around 1500 words in Chinese (Chinese-taught programs) or English (English-taught programs). It should include study and work experience, academic research achievement, research plan and personal prospect after graduation.
8. Physical examination form for foreigners issued within the last 6 months or valid Chinese visa.
9. Payment evidence
If the applicant pays the application fee through bank or online bank, it is required to provide a photo of receipt or screenshot of transaction.
No requirement for those who pay through the online application system.
10. Catalogue and abstract of published papers and any other material that can prove your academic research ability.
11. Other supporting materials, such as approve letter from supervisor in Tongji, award certificates, admission notice from other universities, etc.
* In addition to the application materials mentioned above, the university may require applicants to provide supplementary materials, depending on the circumstances.
You need to upload all the material on our online application system. When uploading, files without corresponding category should belong to other supporting materials.
When the first semester begins, you shall bring the documents and certificates with you for further check. Detailed information will be listed on our Registration Guide and will be sent out with the admission notice. Your admission will be cancelled if your documents are found to be fake.
Tuition, living expenses, accommodation and insurance
Tongji University will waive the tuition fee once the applicant is awarded with this scholarship.
2. Living expenses for international doctoral students: 5000 yuan per month, 12 times a year
The university ensures on-campus accommodation. Admitted students can apply for the on-campus dormitory of Tongji university.
The university provides comprehensive medical insurance and major diseases and accidents insurance for international students.
Admission and Registration
1. Please pay attention to the application status on the online application system at any time. If you are admitted, the application status will be changed to “admitted” and the admission notice and JW202 will be sent.
2. Admitted students should bring their personal passport, admission notice, the Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202) to apply for study visa (X visa) at Chinese embassies or consulates and finish the registration at Tongji University according to the time specified in the admission notice. (Those with X visa must apply for a residence permit at the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau within 30 days after entry);
3. Normally, doctoral students should pass the doctoral qualification examination/review in the first academic year
For scholarship winners:
1. You shall register on time. Those who are late for register without permission from Tongji will be expelled and the scholarship will be cancelled.
2. You shall attend the annual review of the scholarship qualification. The scholarship will be suspended or cancelled for those who fail in the review.
3. Normally the major and study period cannot be changed.
International Students Office of Tongji University
Address: Room 705, Zonghe Building, No. 1239, Siping Road, Shanghai
Zip code: 200092
Tel: 0086-21-65983611; 0086-21-65988388
E-mail address: email@example.com